We have produced a student handbook which offers information about all aspects of your involvement with the WEA, from enrolling on a course, to what support is available and what you can expect from WEA and what we expect from you.  

Download the WEA Student Handbook here.

We are committed to equality and diversity in every part of the organisation, including understanding the kinds of additional support that people may need to enable them to study with us. For more information on our approach to equality and diversity, you can visit our equality, diversity and inclusion section.

Additional Support needs to help you complete your course

If you have a disability, a learning difficulty, a health issue or other support needs, we will do our best to provide specialist staff and resources to help you succeed in learning. The WEA requires students to undertake an Additional Learner Support (ALS) assessment to assess a student’s needs and requirements.

Here are some examples of help:

  • Help to get around the building
  • Extra help in the classroom, e.g. someone to sign or take notes
  • Extra time in exams or assessments
  • Support with a Learning need or Disability
  • Equipment such as hearing induction loops or magnifiers
  • Extra help or tutorials for English, Maths or study skills.

We are still learning about the best ways to help, so the important thing is to discuss your needs with us. The earlier you tell us about your needs the better. We will be able to provide help more quickly. 

If you need additional support please tick the box on the enrolment form and someone will contact you. 

Alternatively you can contact the Student Support Team via email: [email protected] or by calling 0300 303 3464. Your contact details with your permission will be passed onto a member of the regional WEA Education Team who will contact you to discuss your needs and support you require for your chosen course.

Student confidentiality

We will treat all requests for information, advice or support confidentially.
The person you first speak to may need to pass on your details to other members of staff. For example, we may need to involve staff who have expert subject knowledge or expertise in qualifications or experience of support. If you have a disability, we might wish to involve staff who can (for example) sign or who are language specialists. There may be times when it is useful for us to speak to other organisations who may be able to help you, such as the local college, the careers service or an organisation with expertise in supporting a disability.
If we need to talk to someone else on your behalf, we will ask for your permission first. The only exception is where there is a likelihood of someone being harmed - for example, for child protection purposes. We will also keep you informed about what is happening, and discuss any follow-up action with you.
If at any stage you are unhappy, let us know straight away. Contact your Regional Office, or go to the feedback section of this website. You can also refer to our Confidentiality Policy.

Safe Learning

We are committed to providing a welcoming environment where everyone is respected and valued and can feel safe and secure. If you feel that you or other students are unsafe for any reason at all, including discrimination, abuse, harassment or bullying, speak to a member of staff. If you do not feel that you can talk to your tutor, you can phone the Student Support centre and ask to speak to someone from the safeguarding team. Further information can be found on our Safeguarding and Prevent Page.

Find a course - please include a postcode or town.
I am interested in courses delivered
Click in the box to change the search radius